Message from the Dean
PROF. ENG. AUGUSTINE B. MAKOKHA
Dean, School of Engineering
The School of Engineering is one of the pioneer Schools of Moi University, having been established in 1986.
The vision of the School of Engineering is “to be recognized internationally as a center of excellence in Engineering and Technology”.
The mission of the School of Engineering is “to endeavour to build engineering capacity for national development and wealth creation through training of highly skilled manpower in engineering, research, consultancy and extension services”.
Currently the School offers six (6) undergraduate programmes, fully accredited by Engineers Board of Kenya (EBK) and Commission for University Education (CUE), 7 Master’s programmes and 3 PhD programmes.
- B.Eng. in Chemical and Process Engineering.
- B.Eng. in Civil and Structural Engineering
- B.Eng. in Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- B.Eng. in Electrical and Telecommunications Engineering
- B.Eng. in Mechanical and Production Engineering
- B.Eng. in Industrial and Textile Engineering.
- MSc. in Structural Engineering.
- MSc. in Sustainable Energy & Energy Access (https://energy.mu.ac.ke)
- MSc. in Energy Studies
- MSc. in Water Engineering.
- MSc in Chemical Engineering.
- MSc. in Textile Engineering.
- MSc. in Industrial Engineering.
- PhD in Energy Studies
- PhD in Industrial Engineering
- PhD in Materials & Textile Engineering
All programmes in the School are offered on full time basis. This gives consistence in student evaluation and offers equal opportunities in the training process for all the students in the School, hence ensuring high quality education. The programmes entail coursework, laboratories, workshops, projects, industrial attachments and industrial visits. These components promote the training of highly qualified engineers. Many of these engineering graduates have secured employment in Kenya and abroad.
Teaching and Learning
Teaching and learning at the School of Engineering follows both face-to-face and blended model. We have adequate learning resources that include ICT facilities and internet hot spots to enable students continue with learning inside and outside the lecture rooms. The degree programmes at the School are consistently rated highly due to high quality of teaching and research. This has cultivated a strong link with industry and leading institutions of higher learning both locally and internationally.
To support the efforts for continuous quality improvement, the School of Engineering instituted a quality assurance structure within the framework of MU quality assurance system. The structure is guided by the university quality policy and the university regulations and procedures guiding admissions, teaching, examination, evaluations etc.
The School promotes collaborative research, joint student supervision and staff exchange with collaborating Universities to enhance and strengthen existing postgraduate research programs in several departments within the school of engineering. Universities collaborating with the School of Engineering include Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU), University of Highlands and Island (UK), Makerere University, University of Gezira and University of Purdue (USA). Other collaborators include Kenya Industrial Research and Development Institute (KIRDI) and KoTDA.
Research, Consultancy and Extension
Apart from the training programmes, the School is involved in research, consultancy and extension works. Some of the externally funded projects in the school that are ongoing include:
1. HEPSSA Project funded by the Royal Academy of Engineering (2020 -2022)
2. SCEE Project funded by the Royal Academy of Engineering (2022 -2024)
3. TEA-LP project funded by the UKAid and Carbon Trust (2019- 2023)
4. NORPART project funded by the Norwegian Department of Education (2022- 2026)
5. GCRF Catalyst project funded by the Royal Academy of Engineering (2020- 2022)
6. SPREE project funded by the EU (2020 -2024)
7. MIRET project funded by the EU (2019 -2023)
8. MOE- HEST funded by the AfDB (2018 – 2022)
9. NRF Kenya (2020- 2023)
The School of Engineering has 90 highly qualified full time academic staff with different scientific specializations 52% of whom are PhD holders. The School also has 26 technical staff who assist students in the laboratory work and 24 administrative support staff. Through the dedication of School staff and students we have well organized and coordinated School activities. The School offers a positive learning environment for the students.
We look forward to sustain the good working partnership and productive work with the Industry, organisations and other institutions in research, consultancy and extension services in providing engineering solutions to the community and the world at large.
PROF. ENG. AUGUSTINE B. MAKOKHA
DEAN, SCHOOL OF ENGINEERING