The Department of Manufacturing, Industrial & Textile Engineering is domicile in the School of Engineering at Moi University. The department was started in 1992 and currently offers both undergraduate and postgraduate programmes. The department has two doctoral programmes, that is, Doctor of Philosophy in Industrial Engineering and Doctor of Philosophy in Material & Textile Engineering. In addition, the department offers two Masters of Science programmes in Industrial Engineering and in Textile Engineering. Lastly, the department offers one undergraduate programme in Industrial and Textile Engineering. All programmes offered in the department are accredited by the commission for University education (CUE), Kenya. The programs lay heavy emphasis on the practical application of theoretical knowledge. The practical emphasis is achieved through extensive workshop practice, laboratory training, industrial visits and industrial attachments.
The nature of Industrial and Textile Engineering programme is that it open doors for its graduate to work in many different fields. The industrial engineering component of the programme is designed to produce graduates who eliminate wastefulness processes, systems and organizations through designs that are more efficient and waste less money, time, raw resources, man-power and energy. Conversely, the textile engineering component produces graduate who applies scientific and engineering principles to the design, develop and control of all aspects textile structures, processes, and machinery.
VISION OF THE DEPARTMENT
To be an internationally recognized centre of excellence in manufacturing, industrial and textile engineering
MISSION OF THE DEPARTMENT
To endeavour to build a manufacturing, industrial and textile engineering capacity for global development and wealth creation through training of highly skilled manpower in Manufacturing, Industrial and Textile Engineering, research, consultancy and extension services.
OBJECTIVES OF THE DEPARTMENT
The main objectives of the department are to: -
- Prepare graduates engineers who can accomplish the manufacture of textile products, engineering components and design industrial systems.
- Equip its graduates with knowledge to be able to work as professionals in Manufacturing, Industrial and Textile Engineering fields.
- Produce practical oriented graduate engineers in Manufacturing, Industrial and Textile Engineering fields.
- Encourage participation of staff and students in applied and theoretical research as well as in offering consultancy services.
- Participate in Manufacturing, Industrial and Textile engineering related activities in close consultation with local, regional and international partners.